David ‘Gator’ Gately has provided his full tips and race-by-race ratings for Group 1 Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes Day at the Melbourne Racing Club, Caulfield on Saturday September 17th.
the Group 1 Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes is the highlight with the winner gaining a ticket into the Caulfield Cup. The feature is well supported on the 9-race card by the Group 2 Thousand Guineas Prelude, and the Group 3 Caulfield Guineas Prelude, The How Now Stakes and The Foundation Cup. The first race at Flemington jumps at 12.30pm and the last is to be run at 5.25pm.
All ratings for CAULFIELD are for SOFT tracks. Rain around Friday and Saturday means we are highly unlikely to get back to a Good surface.
the Rail is out 6 metres the entire track. It was in the true position here last meeting and the track played super.
BEST VALUE BET OF THE DAY**
CAULFIELD – RACE 3 NO.5 – PRIDE OF JENNI – Did trial well before outsped fresh in Cockram but held ground well late indicating (what we thought anyway) that she will be much better off at 1400m and rolling along. Kissonallforcheeks franked Cockram form. Beaten a lip in G2 at 1400m 2nd-up last prep and beat home some very good mares that day. $8 the value?
David Gately Caulfield Tips
race 1 – Highland Foundation For New Handicap – 2000m
- 3—FENGARADA – Carted 63.5kg Lakeside latest and streeted them, that was his first go beyond 1800m. Won 5 of 6 on heavy tracks so this rain will not hurt him.
- 1 – GLOBAL GIFT – Flying! Had gap between runs two-back and came wide MV on tough day to swoop. Sat wide there last time and battled very well again. He ran well at 2080m at home as a younger horse. Takes claim. Likes wet. Danger!
- 9 – PROTECTION MONEY
- 11-GONE WEST
- 4—FRENCH MOON
race 2 – Lamaro’s For Equine Pathways Plate – 1000m
- 6 – XTRAVAGANT STAR – Resumes. Tough debut win then beat Paris Dior (and some handy males) in Inglis Millennium. Had excuses in Sweet Embrace and spelled. Looked super wining latest jumpout.
- 4 – PORT ALBERT – Resumes. Bit new on debut but closed off well being key rival Cannonball then nailed by Hell Hound (ran well last week in Cap D’antibes). Easy to like his jumpout too!
race 3 – 4cyte For Living Legends Handicap – 1400m
- 5-PRIDE OF JENNI – Did trial well before outsped fresh in Cockram but held ground well late indicating (what we thought anyway) that she will be much better off at 1400m and rolling along. Kissonallforcheeks franked Cockram form. Beaten a lip in G2 at 1400m 2nd-up last prep and beat home some very good mares that day. $8 the value?
- 10 – SAIGON – Also trialled well before her good return when best closer off moderate tempo and ran (leader) Lady Of Honor to 1.3L. That girl was 2nd to Kissonallforcheeks in that G2 last week Flem. In well relative weights here too.
- 9 – ADELE AMOUR
race 4 – Group 3 Ned’s Caulfield Guinea’s Prelude – 1400m
- 2—AFTER CABIN – Won like a good horse Hillside at just start two and ran very good last 600m/ overall time. Back to 1200m in McNeil and ran well but had no answer for Jacquinot late. Back to 1400m now.
- 1 – OSIPENKO – Resumes. Looked very good on debut on Soft-7 then closed in on Kibou (gap 3rd) giving that horse 1.5kg. Kibou then won well beating last week’s impressive Ming Dynasty Stks winner Golden Mile. Trialling nicely! Go well.
- 5 – LETHAL THOUGHTS
- 8—JAPANESE EMPEROR
race 5 – Group 2 Thousand Guineas Prelude – 1400m
- 1—SHE’S LICKETYSPLIT – Won 3 of 4 and had excuses in her miss. Great chase in G3 in NZ fresh and nailed Pacific Dragon who had form around Wolverine, that filly ran really well in hot Silver Shadow Stks in Sydney. Measures up I’d say.
- 5 – BOOGIE DANCER – Too strong for Berkeley Square (form !!) then back in trip MV and run off her feet off strong tempo but love the way she hit the line. Back to 1400m key. Likes wet. Goes forward from gate?
- 2 – REVOLUTIONARY MISS
- 6 – MISS HELLFIRE
- 7 – MUMBAI JEWEL
Race 6 – Group 3 Catanach’s Jewelers MRC Foundation Cup – 2000m
- 13 – SMOKIN NOVELS – Did enough fresh at 1600m Vs pattern. Just missed tp 2040m but very good 2nd-up Vs walking tempo. Drops 54kg and looks about ready to fire.
- 14 – UNCLE BRYN – Similar closing fractions to Mr Brightside fresh at WFA then came wide against pattern MV and beat all-bar leader Military Expert who is flying, and ran slick time! Draws in. Live hope!
- 8—CRYSTAL PEGASUS
- 1 – GOLD TRIP
Race 7 – Group 1 Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes – 1400m
- 9 – HILAL – Ran well and crossed line with gun horses in G1 Winx 2nd-up at WFA and did give Anamoe a scare early last prep… Wish he drew better but goes in.
- 15 – TUVALU – Fresh here. Won 3 of 4 1st-up and worst career run is second… His Gentleman Roy form easily ties in with I Wish I Win and I’m Thunderstruck form is, well…. Clearly elite.
- 11 – RED CAN MAN
race 8 – Group 3 Ned’s How Now Stakes – 1200m
- 2 – ZAPATEO – Class above them fresh in Toy Show then all at sea on tough / biased track last time. Her Mazu form is excellent for mares class.
- 4 – CHAIN OF LIGHTNING – Unbeaten and love the way she savages the line! Ran by last week’s Lets Elope winner Kissonallforcheeks latest (here) at 1200m. Very hard to beat.
- 5 – WRITTEN BEAUTY
- 8 – SHE’S ALL CLASS
Race 9 – Henley Homes For RPC Handicap – 1100m
- 9 – IT’SOURTIME – Resumes. Climbing over their heels in jumpout. Wide/ Very good 2nd to smart Extreme Warrior here fresh last prep. Won previous two fresh. The overs $7 early ??
- 1 – IN THE BOAT – Worked/ Wide on strong speed here fresh and only faded last 100m. Fitter now! Won 6 of previous 7 and the miss was at 1400m.
- 5-AMISH BOY
- 12—ROSE QUARTZ
- 3 – PRINCE OF BOOM
Don’t forget, along with Gator’s Flemington Tips you can hear the great man alongside Deane Lester other Warren Huntley on The Melbourne Form Panel on RSN927AM each Saturday morning between 8am-9am.
Gately also sticks around between 9am-10am for The Preview Hour providing his Sydney preview.
Tune in live on Saturday morning to get the best selections and racing tips for each feature Saturday from the best Tipsters on Radio!